Monday, November 06, 2006

Marching for the Climate

Razorlight....
Police keeping us in check....
Best friend and goddaughter.....
Lots of people doth protest......
Is that a wind turbine I see before me....?

Hello!
Well Saturday was wonderful. I marched from the US Embassy to Trafalgar Square to protest about Climate Change along with 25,000 others - to command that Governments, businesses and banks make some difficult, but worthwhile changes and decisions, to ensure our climate is protected properly - for us now, and for the generations of the future.

I marched with one of my best friends and her family - this included her husband, her two daughters (one of whom is my dear god-daughter), her sister (8 months pregnant!), her brother-in-law, and her nephew. I also marched with a fab colleague from work and her partner. It went really well and we had a good time. We were even treated to a few songs from KT Tunstall and Razorlight. But amidst all of the entertainment and humour which we managed to generate between ourselves, there was a strongly serious element to us going on this march.

It is so important that we protect the environment. I feel this even more strongly now that many of my friends all have children who are growing up in a world where climate change, global warming etc is a reality which we are experiencing everyday.

I hope our march made a difference...time will tell, I guess.

2 comments:

Joyce Hopewell said...

We were with you in spirit Abs - and you lot represented a whole lot of others who didn't make it down to London. But we weren't idle! We turned off all lights we weren't using, switched off every gadget that was on stand-by and turned the heating down, so joined you in our own "power of one" protest. I even sent an email to Tony Blair to voice my views - government has to act now on this issue and stop namby-pambying about.

Anonymous said...

if only you were prime minister abs what a wonderful world this would be. your niece and god daughter thank you for saving the future of their planet love you girl you are amazing. sash