Thursday, May 17, 2007

Can you feel the Meme tonight?

I have been memed!

So that's a first for me. Marde (e acute....how do I achieve that on the PC? Me, the illiterate French typer...) memed me with this:

1. Go to www.popculturemadness.com
2. Pick the year you turned 18
3. Get yourself nostalgic over the song’s of the year
4. Write something about how the song affected you
5. Pass it on to 5 more friends

I turned 18 in 1994, which was the year I went to University like thousands/millions of others around the world.

Looking at the list of top 'choons' from that year, a few stand out both in positive, and irksome ways.

Positive ones?
'Can you feel the love tonight?' by Elton John. It is a bit soppy but it is beautifully constructed and I sung it with my choir at uni.
'Here comes the Hotstepper' (murrrderrah!) by Ini Kamoze. This track just reminds me a lot of the nightclub at my student union, amusingly named 'Shafts'...well, we all thought it was funny at the time.
1994 was when RnB tracks really seemed to make their mark in the mainstream music industry. So 'Bump'n'Grind' by R Kelly and 'Back and Forth' by Aaliyah are songs that really stand out for me; and the friends I hung around with at this time were really into this music, so I guess I joined them for the ride!

Irksome ones?
The likes of 'I'll make love to you' by BoyzIIMen was just played over and over again that now it just grates me - it's truly cringeful.
'The Sign' by Ace of Base is ANNOYING!
Ooooh 'Baby I love your way' by Big Mountain is another bloody annoying one as well.
Maybe these tunes annoy me because at the time I thought they were quite good and age/wisdom has got the better of me!

One pretty cool song which I didn't really discover and fully appreciate until a few years after I turned 18 is 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm' by the Crash Test Dummies. The lyrics are thought-provoking but it wasn't until I was reaching my mid 20's, when I had just moved to London, that I really listened to the song properly. Until then all I heard was the pleasant tune and the bloke going 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm', without wondering why!

Once there was this kid who
Got into an accident and couldn't come to school
But when he finally came back
His hair had turned from black into bright white
He said that it was from when
The cars had smashed so hard
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

Once there was this girl who
Wouldn't go and change with the girls in the change room
But when they finally made her
They saw birthmarks all over her body
She couldn't quite explain it
They'd always just been there
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

But both girl and boy were glad
'Cause one kid had it worse than that

'Cause then there was this boy whose
Parents made him come directly home right after school
And when they went to their church
They shook and lurched all over the church floor
He couldn't quite explain it They'd always just gone there
Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

So who to meme now?
Well, I am running out of options, I am still building my contacts and fellow bloggers. Have I got 5?

JoyceHopewell
Maylis&Hugh (that's two - Maylis, and Hugh)
BitterSweetBlue
WisdomWalking

3 comments:

seev said...

It appears that you liked being memed, GreenAbby. I wasn't really sure. That's a nice post on your songs at age 18, too. I could feel the meme! :-)

How do I type that e acute?? I'm not a French reader or speaker either. But here's how I do it on my keypad. On the right I have a numeric keypad, the light for which has to be on. Can be done with the Num Lock button. Then all I do is hold down the Alt button with a left finger and type 130 on the numeric keypad with a right finger. Like so: é

Hope it works for you!

Maylis said...

Hi Abs, will have a look at those songs now, and get H to do it later on! :-)

Joyce Hopewell said...

Hi Abs! Just back from la belle France & enjoying catching up on your blog (altho' I knew about the dreaded labyrinths & hope you're feeling better now).
Memed huh?! That sounds fun but going back to 18 to recall those songs is going to be a trek to antiquity!! Will browse down memory lane later like H&M :-)